Grottammare has real ancient origin. On its territory you can still find human traces from the Neolithic and a necropolis dating back between V- VII century BC was discovered just here. During the Middle Ages it was property of the Abbazia di Farfa, donated then to Fermo by Aldobrandino d'Este in 1214. Between the XIII and the XVI century it was fiercely fought over and contested between Fermo and Ascoli. The actual fortification walls date back just to the XVI century, when several violent battles with nearby communities and pirate attacks took place. From the XVII century it began to expand towards the shore area, and its urban layout, designed by the architect Pietro Augustoni, was possible thanks to the intervention of Pope Pius VI (1779). It was relevant for italian national history the meeting held on October 12 1860, between the king Vittorio Emanuele II, who was hosted in Palazzo Laureati, and a delegation of parthenopean notables who formally offered him the Kingdom of Two Sicilies. Three years later ( 1863 ) Grottammare was connected by rail with the city of Ancona and Abruzzo region and the railway strongly increased the economic and demographic development of the town. On 23rd of June 1916. Grottammare was shelled by two Austro-Hungarian destroyers, then driven out by the intervention of an armored train of the Royal Navy. The urban layout takes inspiration from the Roman one, based on the intersection of two main axes, the Cardus ( north-south) and the Decumanus (east-west). In the middle of the cross, there was always a hole where the main square of the city is located.The rest of the layout is formed by several streets running parallel to the main axes. In Grottammare these two main roads can be easily identified in Via Marconi and Via Cairoli ( cardus ) and in Corso Mazzini ( decumanus ) with the central square Pericle Fazzini just in the middle of the intersection. The mediaeval burg develops instead around the Felice Peretti Square, where Palazzo Priorale, the Altana dell'Orologio, the Teatro dell'Arancio, the elegant Loggia and the enchanting Belvedere are located. Nearby there's the Santa Lucia church which dates back to the XVII century by the architect Fontana. Walking along the fortification walls the restored Torrione della Battaglia is also worth a visit.
The Town of Grottammare
View the embedded image gallery online at: